Thursday, 24 May 2012

Homeward bound

Update: Safely home, more pictures and stories to follow in the next few days! I hope you've enjoyed reading my blog while I was out there.

After just under 4 weeks in Singapore, I'm now sitting in the departure lounge of Changi Airport, waiting to board my flight back to the UK. Not really looking to 13 hours cooped up in a plane to be honest, but there's no other way about it.



Reflecting back on my experience, the time has gone so quickly and I am very sad to be leaving this country - I will definitely be back in the future! When I get home I will continue to update my blog with more and more pictures because I have hundreds to sort through and just haven't had the time to upload them while out here.

I think next to the people out here, some of whom I would now consider good friends, the food will also be sorely missed. Hawker centres here have so much variety that there really is a dish for every taste. Maybe I'll have to get out the cooking equipment and try to recreate some of the famous dishes over here, although I'm not sure how my mum would react to seeing a live crab in the sink!

I had a lovely last day with a friend out here - we visited an island in the north of Singapore (Pulua Ubin) and saw some wildlife (wild boars!) and had a nice walk along the coast and through the forest-y path back to the landing jetty. After stopping for some food - I had seafood rice - we took a taxi to the zoo and managed to see a lot of it in a few hours. Lots of pictures of animals to come; some that I'd not seen before such as kangaroos and white tigers could be found there. Here's just a sample:







It's a hard life being a zookeeper...

After dinner, we just relaxed in the cool evening air and munched on some (smelly, but quite pleasant tasting) durian fruit before saying goodbyes. It's going to be a bit difficult to get used to 'normal' UK life after this experience!

Trying durian fruit for the first time - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian
See you all soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment